Its March break and almost everyone and their uncle are making plans to do some travelling. To ensure that nothing dampens your fantastic vacay, it’s always wise to prepare. Bed bugs are a global problem and so you are more susceptible to bed bug infestations during your travels.
Here are a few tips to keep you and your belonging free from those little hitchhikers.
While getting ready to travel:
- Put your belongings in clear plastic bags and properly seal them before putting them in your suitcase/ bag. This will protect your clothing even if bed bugs have latched onto your bag.
- You also have the option of investing in a suitcase cover that protects from bed bugs.
During your trip:
- Check your hotel/motel room for any signs of bed bugs before settling in. Inspecting Your Hotel Room gives you detailed instruction regarding what to look for and where.
- Store your luggage in the bathroom until you have completed your inspection- bed bugs are rarely ever found in the bathroom, therefore it’s the safest place for your luggage.
- Keep all worn clothing in a tightly sealed plastic bag to reduce risk of infesting clean clothing.
- Keep your luggage away from the bed, cushions or any upholstered furniture.
After your trip:
- Inspect your luggage and belongings before taking it into your home.
- Wash all clothing and dry using the hottest heat setting for 30-45 minutes.
- If you are worried about your luggage being infested, it would be a good idea to get a prepping or a pest control company to steam or heat treat your luggage. If not, put it in a black bag and wait for the summer heat to cook away any stragglers.